Re: A whiff of reality...

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Re: A whiff of reality...
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 22:19:25 -0700

Here is a reference I ran across when writing the final chapter of my
dissertation.

Rykiel, E.J., 1996. Testing ecological models: the meaning of validation.
Ecol. Model. 90, 229-244.

Although the it is about "validation", at least it's a whack at applying a
structure to one of these problems.  I have had several (actually, many more
than several) arguments with my advisor and other committee members about
including "verification" procedures in at least in a paper appendix.  The
general feeling is that this would be like experimentalists including
details of instrument calibration procedures.  (Ecologists make Joe Friday
look like a light weight with "Just the facts, ma'am".  Nothing but that
which is essential for the development of the idea in the paper should be
included, and model testing, at this point is considered a distraction.)  I
personally don't agree until we have verification methods as well
delinieated as those for experimental instruments.  (Of course, in all
cases, you still have to apply the methods.)

Maybe it would be useful if some of us put together the methods we use to
test our models and maybe some examples.  I started writing some of my stuff
up as part of my dissertation but the work has been sidetracked.  After my
defense, scheduled for June 29, I will resurect them.  I am also working on
some stuff related to time vs. event driven schedules and choices of
statistical distributions.  (Also mostly on hold until after 6/29.)

Cheers,

   D3