Re: A whiff of reality...

From: Murat Yildizoglu
Subject: Re: A whiff of reality...
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 14:10:59 +0200

>  Now look at
> typical modeling papers...can you reproduce what they did? Not
> usually...there's hardly ever enough information. So there's lots of
> room for creative interpretations. And the situation is far worse in
> areas where models are being used to make management decisions.  In
> these cases, the model user sometimes only knows that this model grows
> a tree...no idea how.  I believe the reviewer had this in mind and not
> chip design.

Yes, but who is responsible? When you send a detailed paper
describing your model, your code and your protocol for the results,
the editors ask you to shorten it (this is at least true in
Economics). How can you write a detailed article in 15 pages? I think
the traditional, paper based journals are not servicing correctly the
development of simulation based science. This is why I have recently
created The Electronic Journal of Evolutionary Modeling and Economic
Dynamics (e-JEMED - http//cournot.u-strasbg.fr/jemed/ ). We ask on
the contrary to receive papers as complete as possible in order to
establish the reproductibility of their results. This is essential
for verification.

Murat.

Murat Yildizoglu
BETA-Theme