Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Something New.. ?

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Something New.. ?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:18:28 +1100

On 15/03/2005, at 10:48 AM, Simon Bland wrote:
I sent this to the tech list, but haven't had any response, so I'm asking again here, I hope that's ok.
The project is basically to create an environment for doing simulations
using agents that are already created and don't meet any real standard
or specification, and aren't required to be related in their
implementation (except in that they use standard I/O in the *NIX sense
for control/output).

What I'm currently looking at doing is to create a Swarm module that
would act as an interpretation layer between a legacy agent and Swarm's
agent API.
Do people feel that Swarm would be an appropriate system to develop a
legacy agent module for? If not, do you know of a system that would be
more appropriate to the task?

I saw this on the other list but did not really understand it.

What is your motivation?

The communication between agents and the rest of the simulation code is pretty intense and my first thought is that using *NIX i/o instead of Objective-C messages would be horribly slow.

Bill Northcott