Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Something New.. ?

From: Matteo Morini
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Something New.. ?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:02:46 +0100

   Dear Simon,

   we (a few colleagues and me) may have something to get you started:
we've been working on our spare time (which means not on a regular
basis, nor systematically) on a project called Nemote, which is a
java-based *sort of* workload manager and job distributing system. The
original idea was to run Swarm code (it was an inherently parallel task,
based on a genetic algorithm) on multiple CPUs. In a sense we had
'legacy' code (objective-C only, monolythic swarm processes) we wanted
to interact with something outside of itself.  The part which may
perhaps interest you is the use of tcp/ip sockets to have Swarm
processes passing data back and forth.
        Bill's objection about a performance hit is beyond question, and
that's why we had to think of clever ways to keep network traffic (in
your case that would be whichever std *nix i/o traffic) low, which in
the end was just a matter of packing data ("jobs") in batches to send around once in a while. A frequent and tight interaction between your "legacy" code and a swarm process would very likely slow things down to a crawl. Feel free to contact me and to take the conversation off-list, since most subscribers, old acquaintances of mine, are probably fed up with this fossil piece of work :-)

---Matteo