Re: [Swarm-Modelling] starting ant system

From: Vitorino RAMOS
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] starting ant system
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:53:39 +0000

Dear Nelson and Swarm modelling list colleagues:

Real ant colonies "avoid" somehow this tail following problem by having one osmotropotaxic sensitivity (a kind of instantaneous pheromonal gradient following), and on the other hand an sensory capacity which describes the fact that each ant's ability to sense pheromone decreases somewhat at high concentrations [2]. From here you can have an equation which measures the relative probabilities of one ant moving to a new cite. Also, a bias is introduced on the moving direction (by having implicit directional weights), in order to avoid U-turns which are improbable (but possible) in real ant colonies. The whole system however, is completely stochastic. That is, pheromone is a stimulus, not an order. Even if not probable, one ant having one neighborhood cite full of pheromone may "refuse" to visit it, and walk on different directions. This ability may sound strange, but can lead the whole colony to better adaptive behaviors.

Based on these real behaviors I have used a very simple 2D model which emerge paths, extending it to multi-dimensional environments (e.g. 3D) or for handling multi-dimensional objects [1 to 6]. These swarms may tackle objects (your food or obstacles) as images [3][1] or words [4], coded in numerical vectors (or obstacles in the environment [2][6]), and are able among other things to produce clustering, classification and so on.

So my feeling is, if you chose the right parameters (check for instance the ones I have used), you can avoid the effect you are presenting us. There is no need at all to use different pheromones (i.e., different ant castes). However, if you feel the need of several castes (depends on your problem and aim), the model described here can again easily be used. It's only a matter of using two ant populations, with different pheromone sensitivity (A ants only smell pheromone A, B ants smell B), each governed by the same multi-dimensional or 2D swarm foraging model. Meanwhile, recent results point to high adaptive behavior on dynamic landscapes [2], and the ability of the swarm to self-regulate it's own population [6].

Hope it can be helpful. Please let us know once finished. Kind regards, Vitorino

~ v. ramos, http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos, "Interactions among many sporuliferous and ubiquitous abstractions may lead to increasing reality", V. Ramos, 2001.

All links have the respective PDF paper available for download:

[1] "Artificial Ant Colonies in Digital Image Habitats - A Mass Behaviour Effect Study on Pattern Recognition",
 http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/ref_29.html

[2] "Social Cognitive Maps, Swarm Perception and Distributed Search on Dynamic Landscapes",
http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/ref_58.html

[3] "Self-Organized Data and Image Retrieval as a Consequence of Inter-Dynamic Synergistic Relationships in Artificial Ant Colonies",
http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/ref_39.html

[4] "Self-Organized Stigmergic Document Maps: Environment as a Mechanism for Context Learning",
 http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/ref_42.html

[5] "Web Usage Mining Using Artificial Ant Colony Clustering and Genetic Programming",
http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/ref_48.html

[6] "Varying the Population Size of Artificial Foraging Swarms on Time Varying Landscapes",
http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/ref_59.html

among many others available.