Re: [Swarm-Modelling] model problem

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] model problem
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:45:02 -0700

Like most computer tools, you can do a really wide variety of things with Swarm. However, it doesn't mean that Swarm is the right tool (either the easiest, fastest, most intuitive, etc) for the problem that you are facing. One path that helped me was to look at what other people had done with Swarm and see whether the things I wanted to do could be analogized to their projects. That way, I could borrow pieces of the solutions that they had come up with and not have to reinvent everything.

Swarm definitely has a theory behind it. It comes out of an idea that many systems are most effectively represented in an agent- centered fashion. In my mind, this is akin to the paradigm shift towards object oriented rather than procedural or functional programming. In social science terms, it is a move away from modeling macro assumptions and towards modeling micro assumptions and letting the macro-behaviors emerge.

    Darren

I'm heading back to California and UCSD's Political Science Department,
so emails to my other accounts will start bouncing soon.

Please update your address books with my new email address:

    dmschreiber (at) ucsd (dot) edu