Introduction

From: Steve Emsley
Subject: Introduction
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 05:03:18 -0000

Hi Folks,

I'm Steve Emsley working out of University of Warwick. We've just joined
the Swarm in the hope that it will help us break the mold of biological
oceanographic model(l)ing by treating the biota as adaptive organisms
rather than ideal particles. O.K., Woods et al. have already chipped away
at the edifice, but with our new dual processor SGI with 512 M RAM & Swarm
we're preparing for a frontal assault.

For those of you who don't read the Journal of Plankton Research with your
morning coffee there's a dichotomy between those who would say 70% of the
planet can be understood solely in terms of physics and those who suggest
that biology might intrude. We are looking at spatial heterogeneity which,
although undeniably coupled with physical forces, has a biotic component
that we think cannot be consigned to a compartmental model. We want to open
the box and look at individual (or ensemble) trajectories in terms of size
(hence sinking rate), predator-prey interactions and taxonomic group (hence
siliceous vrs. calcitic deposition). A long-term goal being a better
understanding of the ocean-atmosphere flux of CO2 & trace gases like DMS as
well as the population dynamics of plankton - the basis of the oceanicfrood
web.

Now that I'm here I need to ask for help installing Swarm. It's been a bit
of a work up this last week getting new versions of everything. I'm doing
my development on a Linux (1.2.13) box. Considering I've compiled O.K. I
assume my gcc 2.7.2 and make 1.53 are working. Tclsh, wish and bltwish work
from the SWARMHOME. The blt demos barchart & graph3 worh from BLTHOME/demos
although I don't get the "You can configure with this button".
Swarm and heatbugs seemed to compile O.K. but when I run heatbugs I get a
stream of error messages. The "parameter" window appears but only as the
right hand bit of the title bar (as does the "average unhappiness" window).
I can drag them open but nothing appears inside. The error messages before
I pree "Go" are:
        (Tcl -eval:) invalid command name blt_bitmap
        (Tcl -eval:) invalid command name blt_table

The heatbugs appear to do their stuff but at the same time I'm getting
error messages:
        Frame does not respond to method element
        (Tcl -eval:) object does not respond to method
        Error calling GraphElement

I suspect my problem is either with the blt library or libtclobjc package.
Could anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
Steve Emsley