Re: version changes to underlying software

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: version changes to underlying software
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 07:00:23 -0400 (EDT)

Re the possible change to tcl7.5/tk4.2 :

I think I've stood on this soapbox before, so sorry...

Because Swarm depends on several pieces of software
which change fairly frequently, I think you have to
walk a careful line here.
There clearly is a tradeoff here, between
(a) keeping up with the fixes/improvements in the underlying software
(and making it possible for new users to install the
latest version of the various pieces, versus installing an old version), and
(b) forcing people who want the latest Swarm features
to keep upgrading a zillion other packages as well.

Thus... I'm glad you are asking the masses about it!  Thanks.

Re this particular possible upgrade:
Since (I gather) you don't need the upgrade at this time, do you have
any sense whether there will be a new tcl/tk coming "soon"
that you will need to use for Swarm?

That is, I wouldn't mind doing this upgrade now (since we haven't had to
do it for some N > 8-9 months), but I would mind doing it
if I then have to do another upgrade to another next tcl/tk
in just a few more months!

So that's my conditional vote!

 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/rlr-home.html