Re: message probes

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: Re: message probes
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 08:51:02 -0700

Manor Askenazi wrote:

>   Also regarding the next release I am willing to upgrade to tcl7.5/tk4.2 if
>   a majority of the userbase is interested...                         ^^^
>
> Woops -> I meant 4.1

Manor,

Although Unix (Linux) still seems to be at the stage where any package
upgrade is like an open invitation for gremlins to enter, forcing a day's
worth of ghostbusting (Unix isn't bothered by mere bugs! ;-) ) for what
should have been a simple thing, I suppose I can put up with an upgrade
to tcl/tk, as long as it does not require major code changes to existing
simulations.

I think you'll find that now that people are beginning to accumulate some
serious coding efforts, there will be a lot of resistance to major
changes of the sort that happened from 0229 to 0513. Any changes that
"break" old apps and require major recoding efforts had better be
justified by significant improvements in functionality.

Pretty soon you'll get to feel just like Bill Gates (without the money,
of course <grin>) -- he can't for the life of him get his user base to
throw away Windows 3.1 !

Have a great 4th,
--Sven

Note, I'm not saying I can't live with changes; I'm sure we all have
wishes for improvements we'd like to see to our toolkit. All I'm saying
is, before making a change, contemplate the ratio

        N = (everyone else's recoding time) / (Manor's coding time)

If it exceeds e, or perhaps pi, reconsider ...