Turn Off Netscape!!!

From: Manor Askenazi
Subject: Turn Off Netscape!!!
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 96 13:03:19 MDT

> So it's either run in 16bpp mode, or wait for Manor ....   :-)

I'm really confused about all this traffic concerning colors!

We _could_ add code such that Swarm would run in its own private
colormap but it is so much easier to simply exit all the typical
color-hog applications such as Netscape, Mosaic etc. before running
Swarm.

Besides the default behaviour for most applications is to attempt
co-existence on the same colormap (which is what we do). This is
just a fact of life that there is a limited number of concurrently
displayable colors on most workstations.

Regards,

Manor.

PS> I mean, to actually change the code in heatbugs just in order to
    avoid requiring 64 shades of red when all you need to do is kill
    your Mosaic session seems to me a bit extreme...

    Patrick (@ida.org), could you confirm that if you turn off all other
    applications then the following code is unnecessary?

  // ****  Modified to show at least a few colors ****
    for (i=0;i<16;i++)
      [colormap setColor: i ToName: "black"];
    for (i=16;i<32;i++)
      [colormap setColor: i ToName: "blue"];
    for (i=32;i<48;i++)
      [colormap setColor: i ToName: "orange"];
    for (i=48;i<64;i++)
      [colormap setColor: i ToName: "red"];