Re: Turn Off Netscape!!!

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: Re: Turn Off Netscape!!!
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:46:16 -0700

Manor Askenazi wrote:

> > So it's either run in 16bpp mode, or wait for Manor ....   :-)
>
> I'm really confused about all this traffic concerning colors!
>
> We _could_ add code such that Swarm would run in its own private
> colormap but it is so much easier to simply exit all the typical
> color-hog applications such as Netscape, Mosaic etc. before running
> Swarm.

Manor, I agree!

Doing so does reduce the problem. Besides, running with 16bpp does in
fact solve the problem for those who can do so.

HOWEVER, I just verified that after editing my .Xclients to NOT load
Arena, which is default on RedHat linux, I STILL have color resource
allocation problems running heatBugs. That's in 8bpp; I can't run 16bpp
(yet). Perhaps it's the Control Panel using up colors; I don't know. But
"Just Say No to Netscape" isn't a total cure ...

Sven