Tutorial App

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Tutorial App
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 21:03:11 -0700

Hello!

I've placed a copy of my tutorial application on the release page.
Please check it out and see if there's any way it might be improved.

I did this as an exercise to familiarize myself with Swarm (I'm new to
the project, in case nobody noticed [grin]).  And we figured (yes, I'm
from Texas) it might be a good thing for me to write this with the
intention of introducing new users into the Swarm environment.  Hence,
some of the techniques I use to get things done may not be reminiscent
of the normal demo apps.  But, that's not a bad thing.

The next version of the tutorial apps (v04) will introduce some
efficient ways of doing what the tutorial app does in less efficient
ways.

So, if y'all get a chance, please review the first three versions for
things that could be improved (and placed in an "Improved Hello,
World!" v04) AND try to imagine features that could be added for v05
that might flex the machinery available in Swarm.  For instance, Roger
came up with multiple rooms (MUD-Space, I think he called it [grin])
where the agents would disappear from one space and move to another.
And Barry suggested we implement death-by-caching (which means if an
agent is to be removed from the sim, it is placed in a cache such that
when another needs to be born, it is pulled off the cache already
created and ready for action......a kind of reincarnation, if you ask
me [grin]).

Anyway, let me know what you think.

glen