Re: Simulation as Journalism

From: Manor Askenazi
Subject: Re: Simulation as Journalism
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 21:46:02 -0700

Right On Benedikt!!!!
---------------------

God, the world moves so f.... quickly, don'it?
I mean, Technological Whiplash or What!!!

  People sit there attempting to promote "Simulation as Science",
  and suddenly its not even science anymore, its public discourse!

  BTW>  I loved the bit about programming ability becoming a civic
        virtue ;*)

Well, this was pretty much predicted in Gelernter's "Mirror Worlds".

But still, who would'a thought so soon...

Manor.

PS> Yes, I downloaded the sim, and compiled it and ran it using
    appletview, and it did about one generation per second, which
    stinks, and the interface was all screwy, and of course it was
    written very inefficiently... But then, if everything were simple,
    nothing would be complicated (and hackers would be starving in the
    streets, instead of veterans). Excuse the Tautology... :)

PPS> Got yer' Java Chip yet? The latest issue of Byte has a pretty
     exciting overview of the architecture. See ya' at javasoft..!