Re: Simulation as Journalism

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: Simulation as Journalism
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:52:44 -0500

The article is worth reading.

>  People sit there attempting to promote "Simulation as Science",
>  and suddenly its not even science anymore, its public discourse!

I actually found this pretty frightening. There are so many
assumptions built into a simulation, so many places where one can
deliberately or accidentally skew the output. There's the same problem
in traditional newspaper articles, of course, but it's much worse with
computer programs. People tend to trust the output without thinking
critically about it ("the computer said it, it must be true").

Simulation can be dangerous.