Re: compiler

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: compiler
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 08:33:13 -0700

> We are trying to get Swarm up and running on our sun workstation
> cluster but we are having trouble with the objective C compiler.
> We are running GNU version 2.7.2.1 and have tried to write and
> run simple objective C code but it does not work.  The code
> compiles but when the executable is run we get "illegal
> instruction (core dumped)".  Our system administrator cannot find
> the error and we were wondering if you have any insight into the
> problem.  Thanks for your help
>
>               Scott Brown
>               The Applied Research Lab
>               Penn State University

Scott,
I'm forwarding your message to the swarm-support list in the
hopes that somethimg might jump into another user's mind.

But, in general, the only thing I can suggest is that GCC is
not installed properly.  But, I'm sure you knew that.  Have you
run it in the debugger?  If not, try it and when it quits, do
a where to isolate the "illegal instruction."  Also, you might
try browsing the FAQ.

If none of that helps, we'll have to peruse the output of
your configure and make processes. (I'm assuming you built
GCC yourself?)

glen