Re: vision

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: vision
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:27:08 -0700

>     Sorry, I missed the beginning of the vision discussion.  (My email
> reader's
> had a firm talking-to for deleting all my mail this morning....)
>
>     I use a quad tree in Gecko on Swarm.  If someone wants to look, let me
> know.  Manor and I have discussed generalizing this into a space object, but
> neither of us has jumped to put out the effort.  If (someone--who started this
> today?) is considering implementing quadtrees anyway, perhaps he'd consider
> just filching the base code and building the general space object instead.
>
> Ciao,
>     Ginger

Definitely!  I'm going to need a "vision" based target selection
in another app I'm doing.  Unfortunately, Manor doesn't always
let the rest of the hive know what he's talking about doing.

I also had a couple of questions to Alex about his app:

  1) Does each neuron cover an arc distance?  If so, it
     seems that 7 would give more like a 210 deg arc for
     the entire "retina."

  2) Is the radius of the vision arc going to be pre-defined
     for all bugs, or bug-specific?  And if it's bug-specific,
     will that radius be a function of ambient light in the
     space or directed light?  And how reflective would the
     bugs be?

  3) Will the bugs both move and look at every time step?  Or
     is there another sequencing, like move, look, look, move.

glen