Problem linking sample application (possible tcl/Tk version problem?)

From: Karl Nissen
Subject: Problem linking sample application (possible tcl/Tk version problem?)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:38:44 +1100

Folks,

I am in the process of installing the swarm libraries,and I
get the following error when compiling the market application.
I haven't tried the other applications as yet

The error occurs at the linking stage and gives:

gcc -L../swarm/lib -L/usr/openw/lib -L/home/karl/local/blt/lib
-L/home/karl/local/lib -g  -o market agents.o forecast.o history.o Market.o
main.o MarketModelSwarm.o MarketObserverSwarm.o  -lanalysis -lsimtools -ltkobjc
-lactivity -lrandom -lswarmobject -lcollections -ldefobj -ltclobjc -lBLT -ltk
-ltcl -lXpm -lX11 -lobjc -lm -lsocket -ldl -lnsl
tcl_rcFileName                      /home/karl/local/lib/libtclobjc.a(Tcl.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing

Due to the configuration of the system I am using (SUN Sparc 4 /Solaris 2.5) I
have installed the tcl/tk libraries in /home/karl/local/lib rather than
/usr/local.

I am using Tcl version 7.5p1 and Tk 4.1p1 and the documentation with Swarm
indicates that there may be a problem with later versions of tcl and Tk in
conjunction with libtclobjc version 1.1b5

Has anyone had any experience with these versions of tcl/Tk? Should I use
tcl/Tk versions 7.4 and 4.0 instead?

 The actual reference for tcl_rcFileName in Tcl.o (from Tcl.m in
libtclobjc-1.1b5) seems to be OK, simply a character definition. The
compilation of libtclobjc gave a couple of warning messages:

Tk.m:67: warning: `synchronize' defined but not used
Tk.m:68: warning: `display' defined but not used

Not sure if these are significant........

Thanks,

Karl

Karl Nissen                            Phone:  (+61 6) 249 4613
Department of Geography, SRMES         Fax:    (+61 6) 249 3770
The Australian National University     e-mail: address@hidden