Re: Problem linking sample application (possible tcl/Tk version problem?

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Problem linking sample application (possible tcl/Tk version problem?)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:14:59 -0700

> gcc -L../swarm/lib -L/usr/openw/lib -L/home/karl/local/blt/lib
> -L/home/karl/local/lib -g  -o market agents.o forecast.o history.o Market.o
> main.o MarketModelSwarm.o MarketObserverSwarm.o  -lanalysis -lsimtools
> -ltkobjc -lactivity -lrandom -lswarmobject -lcollections -ldefobj -ltclobjc
> -lBLT -ltk -ltcl -lXpm -lX11 -lobjc -lm -lsocket -ldl -lnsl
> tcl_rcFileName                      /home/karl/local/lib/libtclobjc.a(Tcl.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing

> Due to the configuration of the system I am using (SUN Sparc 4 /Solaris 2.5)
> I have installed the tcl/tk libraries in /home/karl/local/lib rather than
> /usr/local.
>
> I am using Tcl version 7.5p1 and Tk 4.1p1 and the documentation with Swarm
> indicates that there may be a problem with later versions of tcl and Tk in
> conjunction with libtclobjc version 1.1b5
>
> Has anyone had any experience with these versions of tcl/Tk? Should I use
> tcl/Tk versions 7.4 and 4.0 instead?
>
>  The actual reference for tcl_rcFileName in Tcl.o (from Tcl.m in
> libtclobjc-1.1b5) seems to be OK, simply a character definition. The
> compilation of libtclobjc gave a couple of warning messages:
>
> Tk.m:67: warning: `synchronize' defined but not used
> Tk.m:68: warning: `display' defined but not used
>
> Not sure if these are significant........
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karl

Karl,
I've been running 7.5/4.1 on Linux for a while now.  So, at
least it works somewhere, which implies that if there is
a problem, it is either with the installations, the platform,
or the link command.

Can you check to see if your libtk.a and libtcl.a (or libtk.so.1
and libtcl.so.1) are actually libtk4.1.a and libtcl7.5.a instead
of old 4.0 and 7.4 versions?  I suspect that they are present and
the link command (which lists -ltk -ltcl) is finding 7.4/4.0 libraries
even though it was compiled with 7.5/4.1 includes.  If this is the
case, simply replace -ltk -ltcl with -ltk4.1 -ltcl7.5 in the
Makefile.conf file.

We recently got 7.5/4.1 at work on our Solaris boxes and as soon
as I get BLT installed on top of those, then I'll be able to
test it.

glen