Re: NeXT

From: Jason L . Asbahr
Subject: Re: NeXT
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 02:36:07 -0600 (CST)

Hey!

Glen wrote:
> Is anybody interested in a port of Swarm to the NeXT
> platform?

That would be great!  NeXT original black hardware is elderly, but
it's also inexpensive now (~$250 for a bare NeXTstation w/ 17inch monitor,
built in ethernet, CD quality audio, standard SIMMS, standard SCSI, and no
darn IRQ conflicts!).  IMHO, NeXTs are wonderful to work with.  I'm typing
this on a NeXT right now :-), which is sitting next to my P120 Win95 box.
I prefer using the NeXT for almost every task that doesn't require massive
CPU power (realtime rendering and Photoshop are definitely on the P120).
TCL is already on the NeXT, and integrated into the dev environment
as a draggable palette item (thanks to Michael B. Johnson, formerly
of the Media Lab).

Anyway...

As John Eikenberry points out, GNUSTEP is on the horizon, a reasonable
bet for the future de facto standard GUI of free software.  :-)  So
porting effort wouldn't be "wasted" in a niche environment.

Jason Asbahr                    808 Sul Ross  Suite 7
Reactive Systems                Houston, Texas  77006
address@hidden              (713) 942-7937  voice