Re: Manual

From: Paul W. Box
Subject: Re: Manual
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 17:35:11 -0500

This reply was not addressed to me, but since it went to the group, I
take that as an invitation for all of us to join in.

May I suggest the following way to arrange a manual (if we are talking
about one manual) ...

Part 1:  Introduction, via a sample application

This part could be written like a story, following an application like
heatbugs from conception to coding.  The story could start with a kind
of problem one wished to approach, reasons why swarm might be used to
simulate it (ie, ideas one wished to simulate), and then a narrative of
how various features of the swarm package turned out to be a good way to
model it.  In the story of the model's creation, various features and
mindsets of swarm could be introduced.

Part 2:  Technical description

This would be a series of chapters describing each of the libraries,
with a general description of what that library does, as well as more
complete documentation of the individual
objects/features/classes/whatever

Part 3:  Problems that have been approached with swarm

This could be a short description of various projects that are currently
being tackled with swarm.  Each example would have a description of the
question the researcher was asking, how and why swarm was used to
address the problem, and information on how to get more information if
you desire.  I'm sure there will be some excellent examples to choose
from at the meeting.

This is just a suggestion.  I think that this would be an excellent
topic of discussion at the meeting.

--
/*  Paul Box                      |        Cogito ergo                */