Classifier system

From: Wojtek Kopczuk
Subject: Classifier system
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:15:45 -0500

Hi again,
Genetic algorithm that I described in previous e-mail
is part of classifier system library (CSL). CSL is not
yet completely implemented but I believe I am pretty
advanced in my work.
Classifier system is a swarm containing collection of
classifiers. It gets an information from an outside
world by means of its detector and has a number of effectors
that are used to select system action. Outside world
is represented as an Environment object to be modified
by application.
Apparently there is no standard classifier system. CSL
implements a number of pieces that may be used in actual
application. Classifier system in my implementation
has internal message collection, where classifiers may
post imessages. It uses bucket-brigade
algorithm to reallocate strength. Classifiers may be
taxated. Classifier is a pair condition(s)/action
It may have one or two conditions. Various
ways of producing new message (in addition to standard
pass-through operation) are also implemented. Classifier
system uses genetic algorithm to discover new rules however
it is just one element of the available family of operators that
can be used to discover new rules (for example cover detector
operator). In the near future macro-classifiers will be implemented
as well. Classifier system may exist both as a standalone application
and as the part of bigger system.
When it is a standalone application, it may be run in GUI
or batchmode. When it operates in GUI mode, probes allowing
to access/modify system and single classifiers are available.

Many ideas have its source in Rick Riolo's CFS-C system, however
everything is implemented from the very beginning. System is of
course object-oriented and follows standard schema of Swarm
application.
Generic example that I use to test CSL is finite state world.

Wojtek

Wojtek Kopczuk              "There is no third way between
address@hidden       right and wrong"
IGS: wojtek                  Friedrich von Hayek
http://www.econ.lsa.umich.edu/~wojtek