Selector of method returning 'float'

From: Wojtek Kopczuk
Subject: Selector of method returning 'float'
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:39:45 -0500

Hi,
I want to perform this kind of operation:

float f;
f = [obj perform: method];

where 'method' is selector of the method returning
float. However I am unable to compile it - method
'perform' is declared to return id. On the run-time
however actually returned value is float. I wonder
if there is some standard way to do this kind of thing.
I found some solution, however it is a dirty one (and
proves that C is powerful...). I do it in this way:

*((id*) &f) = [obj perform: method];

it works, however I don't feel too comfortable doing this
kind of thing...

Wojtek

Wojtek Kopczuk              "There is no third way between
address@hidden       right and wrong"
IGS: wojtek                  Friedrich von Hayek
http://www.econ.lsa.umich.edu/~wojtek