Where and how to create probe maps?

From: Kevin Crowston
Subject: Where and how to create probe maps?
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:56:21 -0500

I want to create probe maps for the various classes of agents in my
simulation (of which there'll be several dozen eventually, but four for
now).

I'm wondering where to create them.  In the example applications, the probe
maps are all created by the observerSwarm, which sort of makes sense, since
the probe maps aren't really part of the model per se.  On the other hand,
it seems like this requires the observerSwarm to be edited each time an
agent is changed or a subclass of agent added, which doesn't seem very
clean.

I thought I might define a createProbeMap method for each agent subclass,
which has the advantage that it at least puts the various lists of
variables in the same file.  However, I still have to edit the
observerSwarm to call all these new createProbeMaps methods.  Also, I want
to call the method before there are any instances of the class, so it would
seem that createProbeMap has to be a class method.

Is there a better way?

Kevin