wish list: parameter setting

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: wish list: parameter setting
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:11:02 -0600

As discussed at SwarmFest, the setting of object parameters from a disk
file is one functionality that many already seem to have invented for
themselves. (I have my own version, which may or may not be useful for
anyone else.)

There's (at least) 3 levels of running an experiment that are needed:

a) lowest level, feeding parameters (numbers, strings) from disk to objects
being created for a given single run;

b) the ability to 'play' a script file containing entries of the form 'at
time T, send message M to (group of) objects O'; such a script file may
have been created as a log file from some previous run;

c) the outermost layer, the 'parameter sweep' functionality now present in
Drone.

It wasn't clear what objects should have what responsibilities in this
regard (e.g. should an object set its own parameters by looking in a known
place, or should the creator of an object be responsible for filling all of
that object's parameters?)

I know Ginger has an implementation that goes beyond what's described
above, since in her case the number and types of objects/agents created is
the responsibility of the parameter machinery (right, Ginger?).

We all agreed that a unified approach to this question would make it easier
to share Swarm model code later, so the only question is how to do it.

Not being an official Drone (only an unofficial one), I'm throwing this out
to the list to elicit any strong opinions on the matter that might lurk out
there.

Perhaps some of those who have already invented this particular wheel would
like to make their code available for inspection?

--Sven