Bug in ProbeDisplay notification?

From: Wojciech Kopczuk
Subject: Bug in ProbeDisplay notification?
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 19:28:55 -0500

Hi,
It seems to me that there is some bug in ProbeDisplay notification
mechanism added in Swarm 1.0.1. The following sequence of events
leads to an error:
1. probe display for an object is created
2. it is removed by user from the GUI (pressing the red button on
the probe)
3. at some later point the object itself is dropped -> system crashes

I have traced it using gdb - crash takes place in method
dropAllocations invoked from Object's method drop, more precisely
in the line 161 of the file DefObject.m:
suballocEntry->notifyFunction( self, nil, suballocEntry->argument );
'notifyFunction' is 'notifyObjectDropped' function defined in
module ProbeDisplay.m - when I enter it and try to print its third
argument 'pd'
in gdb (p *pd) I get:
 {class_pointer = 0xffffffff}
and then [pd drop] is invoked...
My guess is that while ProbeDisplay is dropped earlier, a reference
to it is not removed  so there is an attempt to drop it again when
an object itself is being dropped.
I am pretty sure the problem is not due to my application, the
same code compiled with Swarm 1.0.0 didn't crash.
Wojtek

Wojtek Kopczuk              "There is no third way between
address@hidden             right and wrong"
IGS: wojtek                  Friedrich von Hayek
http://www.econ.lsa.umich.edu/~wojtek