Draft Xface for Tool class

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Draft Xface for Tool class
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 16:49:00 -0700

Sven N. Thommesen writes:
 > Instead of CoolTools, perhaps RoboAgents ?

Yeah!  RoboAgents actually captures the concept quite
well.  These agents are motivationally handicapped in
that they need to be given tasks to do by fully capable
agents.  This fits the idea of the human/robot relationship
where robots are generated by humans as specific task-doers
and don't really have wills of their own.

Maybe it's time for us to start defining an interface for
these things.  Whether we call them tools or roboAgents
doesn't really matter.

@protocol SwarmRobot <SwarmObject>
- (id) setToolBox: (id) tb;
- (id) getToolBox;
- (id) registerUser: (id) aUser;
- (id) unregisterUser: (id) aUser;
- (id) getCurrentUser;
- (id) getLastToUse;
- (BOOL) cooptRobot; // true if successful --might destroy previous
                     //    task and calibration or push new task on
                     //    some kind of stack of tasks

- (BOOL) calibrate: (id) taskType;
- (BOOL) reset;
- (BOOL) setSharingTo: (BOOL) onOrOff;
- (BOOL) setStaticTo: (id) taskType;
- (BOOL) unsetStatic;
- (id <TaskType>) getStaticType;
- (BOOL) getSharing;
- (id) beginTask: (id) task;
- (id) stop;
- (BOOL) canRobotPerformTask: (id) taskType;
@end

What do y'all think?  Am I way off Ken's original idea?

glen