Re: Draft Xface for Tool class

From: Ken Cline
Subject: Re: Draft Xface for Tool class
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:05:35 -0500 (EST)

SwarmRobots???

I've created a monster!... Just a joke!

> What do y'all think?  Am I way off Ken's original idea?

No, I think this is real close to what I had in mind.

One possible difference is that I had limited
(unnecessarily) the Tool concept by only thinking of it
performing a single, very specific, unalterable task.
Whereas, the SwarmRobot is a more functional in that it
performs any task that conforms to the taskType protocol.

So, should we subclass SwarmRobot and create a multi-tasking
"Robot"?

Ken.

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, glen e. p. ropella wrote:

> Sven N. Thommesen writes:
>  > Instead of CoolTools, perhaps RoboAgents ?
>
> Yeah!  RoboAgents actually captures the concept quite
> well.  These agents are motivationally handicapped in
> that they need to be given tasks to do by fully capable
> agents.  This fits the idea of the human/robot relationship
> where robots are generated by humans as specific task-doers
> and don't really have wills of their own.
>

> Maybe it's time for us to start defining an interface for
> these things.  Whether we call them tools or roboAgents
> doesn't really matter.
>
> @protocol SwarmRobot <SwarmObject>
> - (id) setToolBox: (id) tb;
> - (id) getToolBox;
> - (id) registerUser: (id) aUser;
> - (id) unregisterUser: (id) aUser;
> - (id) getCurrentUser;
> - (id) getLastToUse;
> - (BOOL) cooptRobot; // true if successful --might destroy previous
>                      //    task and calibration or push new task on
>                      //    some kind of stack of tasks
>
> - (BOOL) calibrate: (id) taskType;
> - (BOOL) reset;
> - (BOOL) setSharingTo: (BOOL) onOrOff;
> - (BOOL) setStaticTo: (id) taskType;
> - (BOOL) unsetStatic;
> - (id <TaskType>) getStaticType;
> - (BOOL) getSharing;
> - (id) beginTask: (id) task;
> - (id) stop;
> - (BOOL) canRobotPerformTask: (id) taskType;
> @end
>
> What do y'all think?  Am I way off Ken's original idea?
>
> glen

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427