Re: Objective-C manual

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: Objective-C manual
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:29:55 -0700

Hi,

Objective-C is a simple superset of C, and for a problem such as the one you
describe, check out any textbook on C. All you need to know to move from C to
Objective-C is how an object's methods (the object oriented equivalent of a
function) are declared and how you call methods. The gory internals of
Objective-C methods are pure C code (of course excluding calls to other object's
methods!)

To learn basic Objective-C syntax you can check out the links under Objective-C
resources on the Swarm web pages. There are a couple of "all you need to know in
5 minutes" guides listed there. Until recently Apple gave people access to the
best Objective-C manual, which was originally written by NeXT staff; There was
some talk here the other day that this link was no longer working but maybe
someone knows better than I.

-Benedikt

Gek Woo Tan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user to Swarm and Objective-C.  Could someone recommend a
> tutorial/manual/documentation that teaches basic Objective-C syntax?
> (Example:  I was doing a simple thing like determining whether a number is
> even, and I don't know the syntax for the modulus operator.)
>
> Thanks
> Gek Woo

> Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
> -- Psalm 37:4
>
> address@hidden
> http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~g-tan/

            "I get email, therefore I exist."
                 - Descartes (modified)
Benedikt Stefansson                 address@hidden
Department of Economics, UCLA       Fax. (310) 825-9528
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477          Tel. (310) 825-4126