Stumped...

From: jondavis
Subject: Stumped...
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 97 13:28:41 Central Daylight Time

I am helping a colleague install Swarm onto his computer. I'm installing the
binary for linux onto a
machine running Red Hat 4.2. I've edited the Makefile.conf to include pointers
to the objc and X11
include and lib files as necessary. Swarm itself compiles with no problem
(aside from the ustat defined
but not used warning that I've seen before on installs).

The problem arises when I try to compile any of the swarm apps. In particular,
everything goes fine
during the Make until I get to the linker at the end. Then, for some reason, I
get the following error:

error = ld: cannot open -lX11: No such file or directory

Now, I know for certain that the Makefile.conf Otherlibrary line is pointing to
the location of libX11.a, so
why can't the linker find it? I've spent lots of time on this and I can't seem
to nail down the problem. Any
ideas from anyone would be REALLY appreciated. THANKS!!!!!!!!

Jon Davis
address@hidden
University of Illinois at Urbana