Version 0.3 of GraphLib is out - and more...

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Version 0.3 of GraphLib is out - and more...
Date: 16 Jan 1998 20:54:13 -0700

To fellow Swarmers,

As no-one has yet volunteered to take up the GraphLib maintenance job
in lieu of Manor, I am volunteering. I am releasing a version of
GraphLib which will work with Swarm 1.0.5, along with the original two
demos bank-0.3 and dynamicGraph-0.3. You can find links to them at:

http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/users/user-community.html

There are also new (Swarm 1.0.5 compatible releases) of BoolLib-0.3
and boolNet-0.3 on the ftp site. Direct links are also present on the
User Community page given in the URL above.

Of particular interest to some users is the new version of boolNet-0.3
also makes use of new features in GraphLib-0.3 such as the "dynamic"
"hiding" and "displaying" of the Canvas - as the underlying graph
structures continue run. In other words, the a graph is now
"probe-able" in a sense.

Hope folks find it useful.
                            --------

Libraries, conventions and user contributions...

This might also be a good place to mention a Swarm-ish standard I am
trying to develop for libraries and apps. If anyone has any comments
or has a better scheme, please do let me know.

One such convention which is *almost* a de-facto standard for 70-80%
of apps and libs at the moment, anyway, would be to say that libraries
should be in upper case, like:

 Breeder
 GraphLib
 BoolLib   etc.. (actually, with a convention, the Lib parts
                  of a name may actually be redundant, freeing
                  space for better names?)

and apps, should be in lowercase:

 heatbugs
 market etc..

I think the version number of the library, should be included in the
tar file as well as the expanded directory. So for example:

 Breeder-0.3.tar.gz and bank-0.3.tar.gz

will gunzip and untar into directories named, respectively:

 Breeder-0.3  and bank-0.3

I hope that this convention (or something like it - better suggestions
for conventions are welcomed!) should make identifying packages much
faster and easier for all concerned.

  --- Alex

--
  Alex Lancaster         |   e-mail: address@hidden