file types

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: file types
Date: 22 Jan 1998 15:54:51 -0800

glen> Also, since I've been *forced* [grin] to live in the Micro$oft
glen> world, lately, I'd like to suggest we begin naming the archives
glen> like "oogabooga.tgz".  It's a simple enough lexical change and
glen> makes the tar-gz files identifiable by WinZip.  And even if
glen> you're just using a M$ machine for download and planning on
glen> forwarding them to a unix box, with the ".tar.gz" appellation,
glen> you lose either the "tar" or the "gz" (I forget which).

.tgz is not a real type, it is a fake type picked up a few years ago
when the unextended 8.3 filesystem of MSDOS was still prevalent.

It is not true that WinZip is unable to deal with .tar.gz and
both Windows 95 and Windows NT can deal with long file names.