Re: Version 0.3 of GraphLib is out - and more...

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Version 0.3 of GraphLib is out - and more...
Date: 22 Jan 1998 16:21:39 -0700

>>>>> "glen" == glen e p ropella <address@hidden> writes:

alex> [on Libraries, conventions and user contributions...]

glen> This is a pretty good idea.  I don't really like the idea of
glen> using capitalization to indicate contents.  It's a bit like
glen> relying on file names or path names for branching decisions
glen> inside an executable (say: since I'm called 'bob.exe' today,
glen> I'll take this branch even though yesterday I was called 'bob',
glen> so I took the other branch).  That kind of thing can be
glen> dangerous.

glen> But, since we're naming tar balls rather than executables and
glen> everybody knows that path names are too flaky to rely upon, it's
glen> ok in this context.

Maybe a non-case sensitive solution should be found - maybe using the
words "lib" or "app" somehow? How do other folks do it?

glen> Also, since I've been *forced* [grin] to live in the Micro$oft
glen> world, lately, I'd like to suggest we begin naming the archives
glen> like "oogabooga.tgz".  It's a simple enough lexical change and
glen> makes the tar-gz files identifiable by WinZip.  And even if
glen> you're just using a M$ machine for download and planning on
glen> forwarding them to a unix box, with the ".tar.gz" appellation,
glen> you lose either the "tar" or the "gz" (I forget which).

glen> Any thoughts?

No objections to the ".tgz" convention. I've been stung by it
before. I'm certainly happy to adopt it - are there any drawbacks?

Alex

--
  Alex Lancaster         |   e-mail: address@hidden
  Swarm Developer        |      web: http://www.santafe.edu/~alex