Re: Probing: data types (bug?)

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Probing: data types (bug?)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 21:05:37 -0600

At 03:35 PM 1/23/1998 -0800, you wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Sven N. Thommesen wrote:
>
>> 2. The Random library uses the 64-bit 'long double' data type in some
>> objects. It appears that the @encode() macro in gcc RETURNS NOTHING for a
>> long double variable! Not the 'd' for a double, or a '?' for an unknown
>> data type, but nothing. Presumably this makes it difficult to probe a long
>> double variable.
>>
>> If you confirm this bug in gcc, please scream and shout at the gcc
developers!

>I've reviewed the code, and the change should be straightforward, so I
>will get this written and installed in the GCC source; should be generally
>available in the 2.8.1? release but if it is something urgent we can
>create patches for other GCC versions.
>
>cheers
>Scott

Comment to Scott: wow! Now that's what I call service!

[I cannot imagine what you'd have to do to get that kind of response from
M$ or some other compiler vendor -- being bigger than M$ probably helps ...]

Comment to Marcus: Yes, I could in principle submit a patch to gcc for this
bug. But as Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations!"
We're lucky to have Scott in the loop here.

And now that that's in Scott's queue, feel free to put my suggested changes
to VarProbe onto your stack ...

Cheers,
--Sven