[no subject]

From: Steve Emsley
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 06:50:36 GMT

address@hidden, address@hidden,
address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: UK SWARM users address@hidden: Spatial Workshop (fwd)]

UK Users, I apologize for the triple post and I apologize to the
'rest of the world' team for the dual post. The main reason for this
post is to flush out as many U.K. swarm users as there are stones to
hide under!

Discussions at the British Ecological Society, NERC Special Topic:
Testable Models Of Aquatic Ecosystems January meeting and with the
head of the Centre of Coastal and Marine Sciences, UK suggest that the
time is ripe for co-ordinating modelling within the UK.

This could include: establishing a repository of library modules and
complete models as a common resource to ecosystem modellers; applying
a formal software specification protocol to the development of
ecosystem models; funding for both archiving and R&D of core library
modules.

I'm forwarding details of a BES meeting in (tentatively) March 1999
that will introduce SWARM to the wider ecological community. Since we,
in the UK, seem to have the high-ground w.r.t biological applications
of SWARM (with the noted exception of Ginger Booth at Yale), I invite
comments regarding where ecologists would like to see SWARM develop
and whether they consider a collective response to the diversity
inherent in modelling (implementation languages etc.) to be acceptable.

Considering the timescale (15 months) I imagine that, by that time, we
will have a platform-independent (JAVA) SWARM with distributed
processing built-in (Hey, 'hive-guys', I'm not trying to push your
buttons). Prior to that date funding bodies may be approached w.r.t
development of SWARM libraries that fulfill the requirements of the
U.K. modelling community. IMHO this will prove beneficial both to the
U.K. community, by focusing on core modules that are required in
biological IBMs, and the Swarm Hive, by providing additional funding to
core library programmer(s).

Further to that end I invite interested parties to contact me with
their suggestions w.r.t whether they would contribute to a software
repository (currently viewed as being held, at least virtually, at
BODC), what are their requirements w.r.t SWARM library routines
(including the flavour of distributed processing that they require),
and their views on formal software specification methodology.

[Swarm Hive] I've been reviewing the mail-list discussion viz. formal
specification of IBMs. The thread concerning Rosen's category theory
seems to address the question of 'What does a conceptual model mean?'
rather than the utilitarian question of 'Is my computational
representation of my conceptual model logically verifiable?" ASAIK YDM
and SSADM (acronym hell!!) are formal systems designed for imperative
languages. What formal system has been used in the development of
SWARM?

I'm including forwarded mail pertaining to the sentiments expressed
above and invite comments. UK Swarmers please forward this mail to
anyone you know who may find this radical concept of cooperation
interesting! Note that the putative Aberdeen meeting is in need of
contributions. Please forward suggestions.

Finally, if you are in the U.K. and use SWARM we should consider
getting more networked.

Regards,
Steve