Re: TkExtra, a comment

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: TkExtra, a comment
Date: 25 Jan 1998 12:08:46 -0800

MD> The way that .rpm and .deb files would `solve' the toolchain /
MD> dynamic linker compatibility problems would be to require that
MD> users upgrade the inadequate pieces (e.g. libc or GCC).

PJ> This one bothered me a bit. Since REdhat uses tcl/tk 8.0, and a
PJ> Swarm user must use a lot of finesse to install the 7.6/4.2
PJ> versions in /usr/local, I think this approach might be fraught
PJ> with danger.

Sorry, let me try to clarify.  Implicit when using dpkg or rpm is that
all the components will work together.  With Debian, at least, there
is a precise list of sub-package dependencies (and those sub-packages
have dependencies, and so on), so if you tried to install a Debian
packaging of BLT 2.3 (which doesn't support Tcl/Tk 8.0, only
Tcl7/Tk4), dpkg will complain (and ask you to install them using a
command like "dpkg --install tcl76-dev_7.6p2-4.deb", to make it work).

Of course, since Tcl/Tk 8 is the standard version on Redhat 5, and
that's a prevalent GNU/Linux distribution, and there isn't a
Tcl7.6/Tk4.2 (I believe this is the case), we have an obstacle.
..Even if there is one, it is still sort of hassle to download for the
sake of an aging BLT package.

Luckily, there is a version of BLT that's compatible with Tcl/Tk8.0!

  ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/sorted/devel/blt8.0-unoff.tgz

I've installed it here and made the necessary changes to Swarm;
it seems to work fine.