Distributing Win95/NT exe files?

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Distributing Win95/NT exe files?
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 00:31:46 -0800

Hi,

I dreaded installing Swarm on an NT for the first time, but it actually
turned out to be quite painless - thanks Marcus for a good job. It seems
to me that if one sticks to C: and the default directories things work
smoothly. Heatbugs do what they are supposed to and so on. I have on the
other hand been unable to get Emacs, GDB or anything else to work, but
more about that later.

Although I don't expect to do much useful work on an Windows95 or NT
machine, I've noticed that there are some people in this world who
actually use these machines, and I would like to be able to send them a
simulation to evaluate now and then. So I've been playing around trying
to figure out how one would go about either linking a simulation
statically or distributing the right DLL with one's app.

So here's the question: I've tried to add a -static flag to the linking
process, and the linker doesn't complain but the app (heatbugs) doesn't
seem to be statically linked all the same.

I also tried the objdump -p to figure out all dependencies in the
heatbugs exe file, but sending the corresponding DLLs over with the exe
to a Swarm less NT machine didn't do the trick. I get
    "assertion "cstring" failed: file "String.m" line 65

What's the catch here? Any change you guys could figure out how one
would go about creating a statically linked simulation or which files
have to be available for a dynamically linked simulation to run? Is the
Cygnus approach perhaps dependent on all the rigamorole of bash, the
paths set by swarm.exe etc?

Best regards,
-Benedikt

--