What else? emacs and shell

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: What else? emacs and shell
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 01:57:46 -0800

First, I want to reiterate that the basic Swarm install on Win32 is
cake.  I
can't say enough about the great job the swarm team did on it!   Any
problems
I am reporting are caused by my ability to make things as difficult and
complex
as possible for myself.

I have everything working the same in both Win95 and WinNT.  (Actually,
I have
Swarm etc. on a single logical drive and both Os's share it.)  I have
emacs
now loading _emacs (of course now it says it can't load vars.e1!)  That
is
how I know that it is loading _emacs.  I solved the new load prob by
copying
all the vars.e1 code into _emacs. It still doesn't recognize the default

shell.  By the way Marcus, this can also be invoked by M-! as well as
M-x.  M-! allows you to enter a shell command.  Return with no argument
starts
the default shell.  (In case you think that I don't read faqs.)  When I
change it in
emacs.bat file I can do a M-! and it starts the shell. (I know that it
is because
if I havn't done the umount->mount thing I get a message that it can't
find tmp.
This is the same result as running swarm.exe w/o umount->mount.)  The
message
I get then is "shell started with no output".  Note that it still says
no command when
I use M-x.???  This is not generic to Win 95 I get identical results in
NT.

Any new suggestions?

Last thought, I think emacs started loading _emacs when I removed
my explicit HOME= xxx in emacs.bat and set the default to g:\.
(g: is my swarm drive.)

Cheers,

   D3