Re: next question....

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: next question....
Date: 02 Apr 1998 09:19:15 -0800

GB> In other words, the lrand48 inavailability really sucks, for I
GB> cannot verify equivalence by match-exactly.

And you've found that across different Unix systems that seedwise,
etc. lrand48 behaves in exactly the same way?  Although I don't have a
copy of SVID, I'd be a bit surprised if things were specified that
precisely.  (We sidestep those issues by using a common implementation
on all platforms.) Anyway, note this from the lrand48 man page:

CONFORMING TO
       SVID 3
NOTES
       These  functions  are  declared  obsolete by SVID 3, which
       states that rand(3) should be used instead.