Re: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Date: 06 Apr 1998 12:19:28 -0700

GWT> That's when my application completely died.  (This application is
GWT> originally written in Swarm-1.0.5, it worked there.

I'm afraid that doesn't really mean anything.  There are plenty of
incorrect applications in this world that limp along with memory leaks
or non-fatal misuse of memory.

GWT> I'm not sure
GWT> if the error is caused by compatibility, Win95's version of
GWT> Swarm-1.1 or Cygnus itself.)

GWT> How do I resolve this problem?

You can't always rely on a debugger to just give you the answer.
I don't know offhand whether or not 0x100477e1 is within loaded address
of one of those libraries that lack debugging information.  Could be.
Another possibility is that somehow your stack is getting corrupted
(e.g. an array overwrite), and the frame with return address, etc. got
thrashed.  I would suggest that follow the execution of your program
from the beginning.

Here's an HTML version of the GDB manual.  (You can also purchase
hardcopy versions of this manual from most technical bookstores.)

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/public/COMP/info/gdb/gdb_toc.html