Out of memory

From: Marcus Vinicius Pereira Pessoa
Subject: Out of memory
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:18:09 -0300

Hi all,

I have an application  in which I use a modification from Merelo's Breeder. It
has an initial
population of 100 individuals and run for 100 generations. After porting it to
swarm-1.1 it
started to give an out of memory error after the 44th generation:

        *** event raised for error: OutOfMemory
        *** function: dalloc(), file: Zone.m, line: 28
        > No more memory available from the system.  Value of sbrk: 0x8230f20
        *** execution terminating due to error
        Abort (core dumped)

The evaluation function is itself a swarm application and is called via
evalFunc and is
finished via EvalObsSwarm, as shown below:

        // Evaluation function.

        void evalFunc( id<Chromosome> a ) {

         EvaluationObserverSwarm * observerSwarm;

         observerSwarm = [EvaluationObserverSwarm create: globalZone];
         [observerSwarm buildObjects: a];
        [observerSwarm buildActions];
        [observerSwarm activateIn: nil];
        [observerSwarm pplGo];
        }

        //From EvalObsSwarm.m

        - checkToStop {
          float result;

         if (([evalModelSwarm getNumberPplStillTalking] <= 0) ||
           ([[evalModelSwarm getCounter] getValue] > 10)) {

           result = [self rank:(float)[evalModelSwarm getTotalDistance]
                   withBest: BEST worst: WORST];

         [evalModelSwarm setFit:result];

        [getTopLevelActivity() terminate]; // Terminate the simulation.
         }
         return self;
        }

I would like to know:
1) If the way I implemented guarantee that all of the memory allocated for the
evaluation
application (function) is freed automatically (provided I don't have any leaks
inside the
application itself).

2) If the changes from swarm-1.0.3 to swarm-1.1 could have any influence in
this case.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Vinicius.