[Fwd: newbie run-time error with win95]

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: [Fwd: newbie run-time error with win95]
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:34:19 -0700

Miguel,

   I wrote this for someone else and it seems to work.
Let me know if it helps.

Cheers,

   Doug
--- Begin Message --- Subject: RE: newbie run-time error with win95 Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:25:41 -0700
Tim,

Please read this reply that I received from someone not so long ago when I
had the same problem.
Let me know how it goes...

-Bruce

Hi Bruce,

If you only knew how many errors I went through, you saw less than 1/2 of
my emails.   I vaguely remember the one you are talking about, but it's
easier to just tell you what works.

1.)  Don't try to install on anything but drive C:, it;'s just not worth
the hassle.
Both Cygnus and emacs really don't like it any where else.

On drive C:

(I suggest that you uninstall both Cygnus and swarm compleatly
and start from scratch.  Even after I had the correct emacs installation,
until I compleatly uninstalled, I couldn't get it to work.)

1.) Let Cygnus install itself.

2.) Install Swarm into C:\Swarm

3.)  Change Makefile.config so the default setup is SFI-NT (instead of
SFI.)

4.)  For your own sanity, find the flags line in the SFI-NT that has
       W -error and remove error.  (otherwise, any warning causes a fail.)

5.)  Start the bash window using swarm.exe.

6.) Compile swarm.  It should work.

I tried to install on a neutral drive so I could use both '95 and NT and
it
was a nightmare.  Cygnuus and emacs are both VERY path sensitive, just
to get Cygnus to run any commands becides PWD and CD you have to remount.

Also, Marcus and I discovered that Windows/Tk has some window resizing
probs.
There is now a fix for that.  If you find that it's a problem for you, ask
Marcus.
(I have it but it's probably better if I leave distrubution to SFI.)
Also, if you
decide (like I did) that you are not happy with a bash window that doesn't

have a scroll bar, I can tell you haow to install EMACS and execute the
bash shell from inside it.  (Boy do I know a lot more than I used to!)

Let me know how it goes.  If you have more problems, send more details
and I'll try to help :-)

Cheers,

   D3

Bruce Macdonald wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> You do not know me.  I got your email off of an archive at the Santafe
> Swarm site regarding a bug that I think you might hold an answer to:
> What did you do to solve your "assertion "cstring" failed: file
> string.m, line 65" failure when trying to execute the bugs swarm
> executable?
> My platform in Win/95. I am using the cyywin32 gnu Beta-19 version.
> I cannot get any of the .exe's to execute.
> I would  appreciate it.
>
> Bruce Macdonald
> Encanto Networks
> Santa Clara Ca