Re: Swarm Design Philosophy

From: Ken Cline
Subject: Re: Swarm Design Philosophy
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:42:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> PJ> I see no new functionality in Swarm by converting the
> PJ> classes to protocols, I just see a lot of broken code.
>
> Here are some reasons:
>
>    [snip]
>
>     C.  Precise and minimal interfaces to Swarm things mean that
>         language independence becomes easier.  With regard to (B),
>         that would mean, for example, that we could theoretically
>         write new pieces of Swarm in alternative languages (e.g. Java),
>         or rewrite old pieces.  It also means that it is easier for
>         users to write simulations written in languages other than
>         Objective C.

My thoughts on protocols...

One goal of Swarm, as I understand it, is to allow comparison
models from various disciplines.  The Swarm framework does
provide one level of comparison, but if agents themselves were
also defined purely by protocols then it would be possible
(maybe not practical) to actually move agents from one model
to another.

Building on what Benedikt was saying about needing more
discussion of "neato models, objects and algorithms that users
are creating"... defining various agent protocols would be a
good way begin such discussions; any takers?  (BTW, there is
a precedent for this, see the "Brain protocol" thread in the
archive.)

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Benedikt Stefansson wrote:

> ... And as those of us who have in fact contributed models,
> objects and algorithms to the website can testify, there
> seems to be precious little demand for or use of such code
> once it is made available...

When I had some time (about a 1/2 year ago) I downloaded
almost all user contributed libraries and models.  I compiled
and ran as many as I could until they made me go back to
work. =;-)  I've used the user contributed stuff mainly for
comparison of implementation, but that's because I reusing
alot of code from one of our earlier models. Many thanks to
all those who have donated!

Ken.

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427