Re: (Pathetic cry for FAQ help) Re: ZoomRaster movies

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Re: (Pathetic cry for FAQ help) Re: ZoomRaster movies
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 19:04:32 +0100 (BST)

Hi everyone,

just reading the movie thread...

Including info on movie making in the FAQ is certainly a good idea since
the Readme is only useful if you know it exists and where, which is the
problem with much of the documentation.

With the old version of Swarm, I made all the changes Nelson made
available and then got empty pixmaps. That made me realize that Gecko did
the drawing stuff by itself because Swarm wouldn't draw circles. Marcus
then suggested an easy solution, namely calling

        XpmWriteFileFromPixmap(display, fileName, pm, 0, NULL);

in Raster or some subclass.

I haven't tested this with the new release but assume this would still
work in an Unix environment. But of course not under Windows, right?

Then a while ago, there was this thread about including drawing routines
in Swarm-next-release. I understood all Marcus' mails in that thread to
imply that drawing circles, rectangles, lines, filled or otherwise, would
be part of the next standard Swarm release. Is that so?

I also assumed that in that case writing a pixmap to file would be easy to
implement in a proper way in Swarm-1.2, independent of OS and not
requiring patching every new release of Gecko and Swarm. Gecko's drawing
routines could be outsourced to Swarm, too. At least, that was what I was
hoping for.

FWIW, animated gifs can be made with a simple command line tool called
gifmerge under Linux. gifmerge doesn't do anything else, but it's easy to
use:

gifmerge -<delayIn10msecUnits> *.gif > anim.gif

If you have Xanim, giftrans or such tools anyway, you'll likely have
gifmerge as well.

Cheers,

Jan.