Re: Documentation: swarm-symbols

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: Documentation: swarm-symbols
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 16:10:08 -0500 (CDT)

I'm glad Sven put together the list of symbols. I can't wait to look it
over. You have to know what your are looking for before Rick's script
helps, and even then you have to have swarmhome in the environment, and
I generally don't

Main reason to write: comment about protocol for Swarm ftp sites.

1. I think it is OK to post tgz files, since both Unix and Windows can
decode. No need to duplicate with  separate .zip files. (actually, my
linux can unpack zips, so you can pick whichever you like for me).

2. I wish the ftp directories like ANARCHY had subdirectories for swarm
versions.  It is always very frustrating to me when I download
something and find it worked with some different version than I have.
Marcus has renumbered some packages with a 1.1 to tell us they are ok
for 1.1, but it seems our long term sanity might just be better served
by subdirectories.  Some people still running old swarms are probably
wishing old versions of apps that used to be in anarchy were still
there!

3. I know many people do set their Swarmhome, so they don't set the
Makefile. For applications to be posted, I wish you would put the swarm
version in the Makefile. Some of the applications for swarm 1.1 still
say swarm-1.0.5 in their Makefiles, and it gets confusing fast!

University of Kansas                  Office: (913) 864-9086