Re: help getting started

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: help getting started
Date: 28 May 1998 09:08:29 -0700

MD>  Try setting a break point after where `msg' is assigned in
MD> TkExtra.m, say line 82, and looking at the value.  Maybe there is
MD> some clue there.

MW> In my copy that is in line 77.  msg is "" on line 79.  It is
MW> checked for being null, and then goes to line 81 [self error:msg].

The only thing I can suggest is to figure out why Blt_Init
is failing.  Assuming your BLT is built with debugging information,
you could set a breakpoint on Blt_Init and then step through until
the particular exit condition of Blt_Init was established.

I have built Swarm on an Irix 6.3 box before, but I don't have
access to that machine any more.  I used gcc-2.8.1 and egcs-1.0.2 with
success.

MD> Also ensure TK_LIBRARY and TCL_LIBRARY are sane.

MW> They are unset.  Where do I find guidelines on setting environment
MW> variables?

The Tcl and Tk documentation describes these variables.  In Bash, you'd
use something like this:

export [where-tcl-is-installed]/tcl/lib/tcl7.6
export [where-tk-is-installed]/tk/lib/tk4.2