Re: Sequential processing of actions in ActionGroup

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Sequential processing of actions in ActionGroup
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 10:16:16 -0600

>Relief! I'm having enough trouble with Swarm as it is, without
>additional complexities to consider!

Heh, that's the first time I've heard anyone say it is a
relief not to have to deal with a parallel implementation
of Swarm.  Most people start screaming, "What do you mean
it won't run in parallel!?!? How am I supposed to simulate
a billion agents without a parallel implementation!?!?!?"  [grin]

>OK, so presumably the order you create the actions in after this is
>the order they will be executed in? e.g.
>
>[modelAction createActionTo: anAgent message: M(doYourThing)]; /*this
>always happens first*/
>[modelAction createActionTo: anAgent message: M(tellMeAboutIt)];
>/*this always happends second*/

Yep!  And, even though it's a null-op at the moment, it still
helps the readability of the code and clarifies what the modeler
intends.  So, I use it.

Now, awhile back, Parviez posted a patch to implement random
ordering; but, I haven't checked it out yet so I don't know much
about it.
(http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9805/0070.html)

glen