Re: piping make attempts to log

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: piping make attempts to log
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 07:57:08 -0600

At 05:14 PM 6/8/98 GMT, you wrote:
>  I'm using Swarm under Windows NT, and a major problem during
>development is the DOS window not allowing you to scroll back and
>view the entire history of a make attempt. If you have several
>warnings/errors they all scroll by until you can't see the original
>errors (which may have caused all the subsequent ones!) Has anyone
>come up with a method of piping the make results to a log file?

Yep.  It's

   make 2> log.txt

The "2" signifies to bash that you want stderr output.  I think
a "1" is assumed if you just use the ">" sign, where "1" means
stdout output.  If you define another file unit number and open
a file to associate with that unit number, you can use that number
in that place, as well.  I don't think 3 and up are pre-defined.

Of course, I don't recommend you begin learning Bash programming.
I suggest you run inside an emacs "shell".  Both Marcus and I
posted .emacs files that would allow you to do this.  And I
think there's a couple of flags on the swarm.exe that will give you an
environment setup and an elisp file.  Check the mailing list archives.

glen