Re: piping make attempts to log

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Re: piping make attempts to log
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 13:26:45 -0700

The problem you mentioned only really exisits in Win95, you CAN
get scroll bars in NT.  Go into the options for the dos window and you
should see options for setting the size of the window both horiziontal and
vertical.
Increasing the vertical will add a scroll bar, but only in NT, NOT Win95.
I'm sorry I can't give you exact specifics but I no longer have NT on my
system
and it was a while ago when I tried it.  Play around with the options some
and I
promise that you will get scroll bars.

Cheers,

   D3

Sven N. Thommesen wrote:

> At 07:57 AM 6/9/1998 -0600, you wrote:
> >At 05:14 PM 6/8/98 GMT, you wrote:
> >>  I'm using Swarm under Windows NT, and a major problem during
> >>development is the DOS window not allowing you to scroll back and
> >>view the entire history of a make attempt. If you have several
> >>warnings/errors they all scroll by until you can't see the original
> >>errors (which may have caused all the subsequent ones!) Has anyone
> >>come up with a method of piping the make results to a log file?
> >
> >Yep.  It's
> >
> >   make 2> log.txt
> >
> >The "2" signifies to bash that you want stderr output.  I think
> >a "1" is assumed if you just use the ">" sign, where "1" means
> >stdout output.  If you define another file unit number and open
> >a file to associate with that unit number, you can use that number
> >in that place, as well.  I don't think 3 and up are pre-defined.
>
> Or, if you want it all output to the same file, it's
>
>         make > log.txt 2>&1
>
> Or you can split things up:
>
>         make > log.txt 2>err.txt
>
> (I have no opinion on the religious issue of bash vs. emacs ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> -Sven-

* Doug Donalson                                          * Office: (805)
893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology   * Home:   (805) 961-4447
* UC Santa Barbara                                      * email
address@hidden
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106                           *
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*