Re:

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re:
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 06:47:28 -0600

At 10:32 AM 6/17/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Dynamical Probe:
>In heatbug simulation, probemaps observe variables statically. I am wandering
>whether they can be observed dynamically, i.e., we can see variables' values
>changing along runing time. I am very positive that the probe libraries have
>such ability, but I have not studied them. Can anybody tell whether they can
>or not?

Do you mean you want to generate probeMaps dynamically?  The
only thing that isn't dynamic right now is the strings you choose
to use to index into a class' ivars.  Dynamic string (variable)
selection can be done, but we don't have any machinery in Swarm to
insulate the user right now.  All that's probably required is to
walk through the C structure to find the name of a variable, then
use the current probing machinery to create that probe and add it
to a map.

Check ProbeMap.m in createEnd where a Map called probes is created
at the end of the creation of any ProbeMap for a class.  This is
where the variable ivarList is assigned to the probed class' list
of instance variables (this is a C array, not a Swarm List).  You
should be able to use the same structure to search through the
potentially probable ivars and pick the ones you want to probe,
then just do a normal probeMap creation and add probes to it.

In fact, I suppose you could just create a ProbeMap and then
get your hands on the "probes" ivar of the probeMap itself.
That might serve to insulate you from manipulating the IvarList_t
structure.

glen