Help with swarm installation

From: Mike Wilson
Subject: Help with swarm installation
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:12:39 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

        I am installing swarm 1.1 from a source distribution on a DEC Alpha
for one of our lecturers.   I decided to perform a source installation instead
of getting a pre-built Alpha package so I could learn how it all fitted
together.

        I have finally managed to get it to compile and link.  We had virtually
none of the pre-requisites - not even GNU C or make.  About the only thing we
had was Tcl/Tk but that's version 8.0 and there was a little hacking to do.
I also ran into a bug making libffi with the native DEC assembler and needed
help from the FFI people.

        Anyway, after it got built without error messages, I tried to test the
installation by building the application simpleCBug.   Firstly, I got the
error:

        class.c:117: failed assertion `__objc_class_hash'

After following clues in the code, I put a call to __objc_init_class_tables
before initSwarm.  I then got the following error:

        "objc runtime: cannot find class Module_super_"

If you could give me any ideas, clues? etc., I'd appreciate it greatly.

Details of the installation:

        OS:             OSF1 V4.0 564
        GCC:            2.7.2
        GMAKE:          3.75